The Sisters of St. Joseph founded the school in 1908. Blessed Mary MacKillop, the founder of the Order had as her philosophy and driving motive, the education of poor children. At the same time because of her faith, she believed that religious education was as important as secular education. Her goal was to provide both to as many children as possible. Her energy, organisational skills and spirituality meant that she was able to achieve this goal to a very great extent indeed. This is exactly what the Sisters of St. Joseph did and what our school continues to do. Originally the school was under the patronage of St. Joseph. In 1991, the name of the school was changed to Holy Spirit Primary bringing it in line with the Parish name.
Currently there are 100 children enrolled in four classes. The school is well-resourced and is supported by a very committed parent body and parish community. Our school community has a low socio-economic level with a significant number of single parent families. The support within the community for each other is very strong. The Staff is enthusiastic and supportive of students and families. There is a strong sense of social justice and supporting the less fortunate in our community.
The building facilities of Holy Spirit Primary School, Kurri Kurri are excellent. The BER funding upgraded the rooms and provided a modern canteen and toilet facilities. The school is an exciting primary school and provides much for our local community.
Our school participated in the NPP-Literacy during 2009-2011. During this time staff received significant PD in literacy. Focus on Reading was implemented and now is embedded into our daily practices.